The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) is a nationally recognized non-profit organization which was founded in Los Angeles, CA in 1974. Their objective was to form a national organization of professional engineers to serve as role models in the Hispanic community. Through the years it has become a leading technical organization whose primary function is to enhance and achieve the potential of Hispanics in engineering, math and science.
We are brought together by heritage, social responsibility and desire to improve the equality of all people through the use of science and technology. We value excellence in education, professional pursuits and leadership. We obtain excellence through integrity, empowerment, achievement, diversity and continuous improvement.
SHPE changes lives by empowering the Hispanic community to realize its fullest potential and to impact the world through STEM awareness, access, support and development.
SHPE’s vision is a world where Hispanics are highly valued and influential as the leading innovators, scientists, mathematicians and engineers.
St Louis Gateway Chapter History
The St. Louis Gateway chapter was founded by Annette Desarden-Carrero in September 2004 where the first meeting was held at St. Louis University. During the first meeting, twelve of the thirteen attendants became members and elected the first Executive Board of Directors (EBOD). On September 29, 2004 the Chapter had their second meeting and completed the establishment phase. By October of that year, the newly formed STLG-SHPE Chapter completed their bylaws. The Chapter was recognized as a Professional Chapter by the National Board of Directors on December 3, 2004. The first Professional Development activity took place at the UPS facility in Earth City, Missouri. Since then, the Chapter has been working on Professional Development Activities with the support of well-known companies like UPS, AG Edwards, Anheuser-Busch, The Boeing Company, Emerson and Peabody Energy.
- Regional Goal: Increase membership by 20%
- Regional Goal: Increase community awareness of SHPE
- Participate in SHPE National and Regional events (NILA/SHPE/RLDC)
- Conduct / Participate in at least 2 Professional Development events
- Conduct / Participate in at least 3 Mentoring / Outreach activities
- FIRST Robotics mentoring / partnership with St. Cecilia Academy
- 2009 National Chapter of the Year
- 2009 Regional Chapter of the Year
- 2008 Regional Chapter of the Year
- 2007 Regional Chapter of the Year